The Burnham on Crouch War Memorial with poppies in June. © 2018 Tracy Saunders

The War Memorial was unveiled on Sunday, 14th August 1921, on its riverside site in the High Street.

The unveiling drew crowds that were reported as the largest ever seen in Burnham on Crouch – stands had to be erected around the memorial to seat the relatives of the fallen.

A service was led by the Ministers from all of the local churches with an address by Robert Leslie OBE, who received the honour for his war work in relation to disabled servicemen.

The memorial was designed by London architect, Mr Frank Atkinson, at a cost of £700 which was raised by benefactors and public subscription. The brass name plates listing the fallen were cast at the local foundry of Booth and Brooks.

After the Second World War further panels were added to commemorate the fallen servicemen and civilians during that war.

Since the unveiling the war memorial has become the focal point for remembering the war dead of Burnham on Crouch on Remembrance Day and at other anniversaries. See Remembrance Sunday.

On the seawall opposite the war memorial there is a plaque dedicated to Burnham men who left here on 30th May 1940 to rescue hundreds of soldiers from the beaches of Dunkirk.

In November 2019, a new Memorial Garden was created by Burnham Town Council.

See also the Royal British Legion.